Need for a smart pill box organizer can not be understated.
Med-Q Pill Box Organizer
After reviewing some of the following stats, you will see why a pill box organizer is so important. Compliance means taking the correct amount of the prescribed medicine at the proper time.
Medication Adherence Statistics
- 35 million People in the US take 3 or more pills every day
- 78 Percent of Men and Women non-adherent
- The cost to the health care system in excess of $250 billion a year
The typical rate of adherence is (the degree to which patients correctly follow prescription instructions) for pills taken once a day is approximately 82%. The rate jumps to 50 plus% for people taking pills four times per day. Surprisingly, over 70% of people, as well as 52% of chronically ill people, do not take their pills as prescribed by their physician.
Pills will not work in people who forget to take them
C. Everett Koop, MD, former surgeon general says, ” Medication will not work in people who forget to take them”. Using a smart pill box organizer is vital to compliance. Medicine will be effective if and only if it is taken as prescribed by one’s doctor.
Good patient compliance and adherence means taking the right drugs, on time and in the proper doses.
Why does this happen? The cause range from simply forgetting to mental confusion to illnesses like Alzheimer’s. The Cost, $280 billion in ER visits as well as many avoidable medical treatment expenses. Reports have provided daat that shows that over 120,000 deaths per year, leads to 10-26% and nursing home admissions
· 24 Percent of nursing home admissions from non-compliance, The cost 32.3 billion / 370,000 people.
· Ten Percent of hospital admits from non-compliance, Cost 14.9 billion / 3.4 million people.
· Approx 49 Percent of the 2.1 billion prescriptions are taken incorrectly
· 33% of people take all their pills, 33% take some of them, 33% don’t get the prescription filled
Care Giving Stats
· 25 Million nonprofessional caregivers in the United States
· 80 Percent of non-professional caregivers are female
· 80-90 Percent of seniors that need care get it from family or friends
Merck Manual on ways to Improve Patient Compliance (Medication Reminders & Pillboxes)