Stay healthy in your 70’s with a Geriatric Physician
Stay healthy in your 70’s challenge[/mp_text]
One of the most important ways to stay healthy in your 70’s and beyond is to seek the care of a geriatric physician, also called a geriatrician. Geriatric physicians are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and disability in older adults. They are specially-trained in the aging process and provide comprehensive health care.[/mp_code]
Stay healthy in your 70’s challenge
A geriatric physician, also called a geriatrician, is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease and disability in older adults.Geriatric physicians are primary care doctors who are specially trained in the aging process.
- Number of physically unhealthy days reported per month (due to illness or injury)
- Frequent mental distress (depression, stress, anxiety or emotional problems reported on 14 or more days per month)
- Complete loss of natural teeth
- Current smoking status (smoker or non-smoker)
- Lack of leisure time/physical activity
- Regularly eating fewer than 5 fruits and vegetables per day
- Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or greater)
- Reported disability (physical, mental or emotional) that limits activity or requires special equipment (cane, walker, wheelchair, hearing-impaired telephone)
- Hip fracture
- Receiving a yearly flu vaccine
- Following routine health care / screening procedure recommendations (cancer, high cholesterol)
Stay healthy in your 70s involves dental care
The good news is that you’ll probably keep your own teeth, and implants and bleaching can make your teeth look years younger than the rest of your body. Only about 25% of people over age 60 wear dentures today.
“I practice in Framingham, Minn., a small, middle-class town, and I haven’t done dentures in five years,” says Kimberly Harms, DDS, consumer adviser for the American Dental Association. “That’s because of a lifetime of good dental health and diet. Unfortunately, the people who haven’t had a lifetime of good health care and healthy practices are at risk for losing their teeth.”
Stay healthy in your 70’s take determination,commitment and discipline. With proper choices, you golden years can be your very best. For more information, visit Med-Q Medication Compliance System.